Thursday, October 25, 2012

Going for a walk

Lately I have come to appreciate going for a walk.  For many years I have thought walking was a waste of time and unproductive.  Running has always in the past seemed more efficient.  Since June running has not been an option and so I am learning to appreciate slowing down and enjoying time sharing what is on my heart, side by side with another.  Honestly, walking has actually been a challenge recently for me.  I am pushing the limit these weeks post knee surgery.   I am doing it all the same.  I love the outdoors and sunshine.  It restores my soul.
In Genesis chapter 5, it talks about Enoch walking steadily with God.  This got me thinking yesterday about my walk with God.  What does it mean to walk with God?  I think it means, that we stay together, at the same pace, on the same path that God chooses.  Moreover, I think walking with God means we ride out the storm together and that I make a commitment to walk with Him everyday.  For me this means reading my Bible so I know who He is and what He requires of me and spending time in prayer listening and responding in obedience.
 Walking nonstop is hard and it is exausting.    I am so thankful I do not have to do it alone.  As my knee heals- after a walk, I have to ice, rest it and take it easy. No matter what though,  I will keep walking and I will get stronger and maybe someday, God willing, I will even run again.  I am so glad God built rest into the plan.  Because I am a nurse, Sundays can't always be my rest day, so I make Wednesdays--worship day and I really take that day as my Sabbath.   I rest and restore to jump back in for the rest of the week again. 
In terms of my weight and nutrition, I have come to realize exercise alone will not allow me to get to the weight I desire.  Exercise is a part of it but  a huge key to weight management is sleep and managing stress.  That is where it is different for each person.  My faith helps me manage my stress and make sense of what I have trouble understanding in the ICU environment.   I also find doing yoga a couple times a week helps me manage my stress.  As for sleep,  when I am working 12 hour shifts, it is challenging for this night shift nurse.  I have come to realize I must prioritize it, which means saying no to other things at times in order to get sleep in.  I have heard ideally if you can go to bed at the same time each night and have the temperature of the room be less than 75 degees it is most optimal.
Anyhow....these are my words of wisdom for today.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely understand your runner's mindset, thinking about walking as a silly en devour.

    I too have had to walk quite a bit myself recently. I have and continue to enjoy it, even as I'm finally able to jog a little bit.

    Can't agree with you more about needing a cool atmosphere to sleep in! I like how you realize that stress management is important for maintaining health. I think having a blog has been a useful tool for me to kind of organize my thoughts and reflect on what has been going on in my life (yes my blog has been dormant for months now but I'll post something soon I promise!).

    Keep up writing these great posts! =)

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! You inspire me. Please return to blogging soon.

    ReplyDelete